Unique Beaches: Uvita Beach & Tombolo of Uvita
You may have already seen pictures or heard of the iconic “Whale's Tail”. This representative landmark is popularly named in various ways. However, this is, in fact, the Tombolo of Uvita.
To reach it, you must enter the Marino Ballena National Park via the Uvita Sector (this is 20-25 min away from Yabá Chiguí Lodge, passing through Uvita town). Once inside the park, you will walk shortly by the side of the Negro Estuary and later along the Uvita Beach until you reach the tombolo.
The 360 degrees scenery and the “silence” nature offers here turns it into a “must-do” in the area.
Here are some ideas/tips to get the best out of your visit:
- There are several parking lots on the outside of the park. They charge between USD $4 - $6 for the day.
- Check the tide. The tombolo is fully visible only during low tide. So, a good plan is to start your walk 30 min before the tide is shallow.
- The walk is on flat sandy terrain and it can take between 20 – 40 min each way, depending on your physical condition.
- There is no shade for most of the way, so it can get hot and quite sunny. Of course, this can vary, depending on the time of the day you go and the weather conditions on that specific day.
- Keep your entrance ticket for the day, as you can use it to visit other sectors of the park, such as Colonia, Ballena and Piñuela.
- Single-use plastics and alcoholic beverages are not allowed. Ballena Marine National Parke Regulations.
- BACKPACK LIST: cash for parking, lots of water, sunblock, hat, and bathing suit for a swim.
Opening Hours: 7:00 - 18:00.
Fees: USD $6,78 non-residents / ₡1,130 residents. Payment by card only.